A father in the Valley is being hailed as a hero for saving his infant daughter from choking on steamed carrots.
Ryan Daroma was playing basketball in his backyard when he heard his 8-month-old daughter, Kailyn, choking.
He quickly used the skills he learned as a teen lifeguard to perform back blows on his daughter, dislodging the carrots from her throat.
The scare happened during feeding time and Kailyn’s mother attempted to perform first aid before calling her husband.
The family is now sharing their story to highlight the importance of learning first aid.
Kristen Bullock, an EMT and Red Cross volunteer, says that knowing what to do in an emergency can make all the difference and urges parents to get trained in first aid.